Thursday, September 11, 2008

those baby shows have me thinking...

I'm watching one of those shows.. those dumb baby shows on the television...
So the woman is ready to push, and she's doing what her body is telling her to, which is to push..
So the nurse is freaking out, telling her not to push... (like she has a choice, right?)
Another nurse runs into the hallways and yells "we need a doctor in here, NOW."
Why is this laughable? Because they are causing this woman panic about birthing her baby because there is no doctor in the room. So what?! Birth is NOT an emergency. If this lady was at home, minding her own business, alone.. she could birth her baby. There needs to be no shouting for the doctor, no scolding her for pushing and doing what feels naturally to her.
I guess I'm biased because as a doula I've seen alot of births. Births where no yelling was needed because a woman feeling "pushy". Births where the baby stays on the mom's chest for a long time after it's born to ensure bonding instead of whisked away to be weighed and measured.
Those baby shows are showing a "normal" hospital birth. I hope, wish, pray that my hospital birth is nothing like this. I wanna show up to the hospital when I'm ready to push, or close to it.. I want my husband to help catch the baby. I want to establish breastfeeding and bonding before my baby is ever taken off of my chest to be weighed or measured. I've waited a LOOOOOONG time to meet this baby -- not just the three months I've been pregnant, but all of those months when I struggled to get pregnant... It's been almost 3 years since we began the quest to become parents.. Charlie's been gone almost 2.. It's been a long road --- and hopefully at the end of this road there will be a natural birth, plenty of time to bond, a healthy baby.. and us bringing that baby home. I wish for sleepless nights, sore nipples, poopie diapers, and eventually smiles and laughter. :)

No comments: