Thursday, September 25, 2008

How you doing in there, little one?

I've been worried about our upcoming ultrasound. The big level II is coming up where they look at all the parts to make sure they're healthy. We don't have it scheduled yet, but it will be at 18 weeks. I'm 15 1/2 weeks now.
Why I'm worried:
We found out at Charlie's 18 week ultrasound that he had a heart defect which started the cascade of interventions by doctors for the rest of my pregnancy, and the rest of Charlie's life.
This child has an increased chance of having a heart defect just because we already had one child born with a heart defect.
Charlie was born with coarctation of the aorta, which was not identified until after he was born. He was only diagnosed with Transposition of the Great Arteries at his Level II and subsequent echocardiograms. That makes me worry that even if this ultrasound proves that everything looks fine now, that this child could still be born with a heart defect that isn't identified until after birth.

Please.. Please let this baby be okay.

What prompted this worry is that another heart mama with a heart angel like me just gave birth to a baby boy. The baby boy was born with a hole in his heart that would close after birth... So they thought it was a minor issue, but when he was born they found out he had coarctation of the aorta like his sister had. His sister didn't make it. Luckily he's doing okay so far after surgery.
I'm praying hard for this mama that she doesn't have to endure another heartbreak.
I'm praying hard for my baby that he or she is heart healthy. I can't endure anymore heartbreak.. I've already talked to the man upstairs about this. Let's hope he's listening. :)

3 comments:

Ya Chun said...

I hope everything they see looks great, but it is sad that even a good u/s call won't give you much peie of mind. Sounds like it will be a long u/s session too.

Maybe they can do a later u/s as the baby is bigger too, so they know what to be prepared for in the delivery room.

I am sending you lots of strength.....

Ya Chun said...

if only I could type... that's "peace of mind"

The Fabulous Ms. Beth said...

even if they do lots of ultrasounds and fetal echocardiograms, coarctation of the aorta is still tricky to find in utero. It usually presents itself once the circulatory system comes in contact with oxygen and the baby isn't dependant on the mother anymore.