Monday, August 25, 2008

You're gonna be a great mom!

I was told this recently that I'm going to be a great mom. I wasn't sure whether or not to keep the peace by remaining silent,graciously thanking them for their well wishes or to inform them that I was already a "great mom". Of course, I kept silent. I wanted to scream, "I am already a great mom" or "I had a son you know!"
I try not to let comments get to me, especially when they are well wishes straight from the heart.
I just hope people remember that I am already a great mom. I carried my son below my heart for 35 weeks, birthed him after 28 hours of labor, and mothered him until I placed him in the earth.
I continue to be a great mom by doing charitable things in my son's memory. We donated over 150 coloring books, children's books, and a total of 1068 crayons to Children's Hospital of Michigan in Charlie's memory. We also arranged for any donations in Charlie's name to the Children's Hospital of Michigan to be put towards new rocking chairs for the NICU. We did this so other's would have the opportunity to rock their babies while they are there. Children's Hospital of Michigan doesn't have a budget for such things as coloring books, crayons, or non-essential furniture for the NICU. I believe rocking your child or having activities to occupy them during their stay is indeed essential. There are plaques adorning the rocking chairs, they say "Charlie's Chair" in keeping my Charlie's memory alive in the hospital where he lived his life.
We will continue to keep Charlie's memory alive by donating coloring books, crayons, and other children's activities on Charlie's birthday each year.
Would a less than great mom do that for her child? :)

No comments: