Sunday, December 7, 2008

Family get togethers

Today there was a big family Christmas party for some of my extended family on my dad's side. I was in the food line when I heard my dad talking to some distant relatives about how he's so excited that he's going to be a grandpa again. He was gushing about his granddaughter coming in March. They asked that dreaded question of "how many grandchildren does that make?" and he said "two." WRONG ANSWER DAD!! So I turned around and shot him a look.. and he corrected himself and said, "well, technically this would be my third grandchild." He had to tell the story of Charlie to our unsuspecting relatives just because of the look I gave him. I know he hates telling it because he gets emotional about it, and my dad just doesn't do well with emotions and feelings.. :) I didn't mean to give him the look I did.. I guess it just comes naturally...
There is also this tradition at the Christmas party to hang an ornament on the tree with the name of the deceased in our family to honor them. There was no ornament made for Charlie. My dad went to find his ornament thinking that surely someone in the family would have made him one. They didn't though. My dad looked panicked when they said they hadn't made one since it had been two years since he passed away. My dad found a blank ornament and had my aunt make one right then and there with some glitter glue and snowflakes. He seemed very concerned that one wasn't made and didn't want me to to feel bad. I knew this because he kept telling me "don't worry, they're making one now" and putting his hand on my shoulder in comfort. I wasn't too concerned about it because I totally forgot that they do the whole ornament thing or else I probably would have made one myself. Family get togethers sure are awkward after you lose a child..

4 comments:

Ya Chun said...

the look comes naturally, that's kinda funny :)

How come your extended family didn't hear thru the grapevine (even that you were pregnant with Charlie). I guess my Gram is just a good gossip so everyone knows everything.

Sorry it was tough for you and your Dad, but you are brave to go.

Shannon Ryan said...

Man.. I'm sorry that happened. I was kind of hurt when my mother in law got a myspace page and said that she has 9 grandchildren.. I had to correct her and say 10! I know she loves Dresden as much as we do and wishes he were here.. I guess some people just feel akward about the situation.. even Shaun said when I asked him at the beginning how many children he would say he had.. I was shocked when he said ONE! I said, but you have TWO!! Then he said, I know.. but then you have to explain, and it's so painful, then the other person feels bad.. but now he agrees that we tell people about BOTH of our babies! :)
Ah, holidays! I hope they get better...

Christa said...

yeah, I can imagine that would've been awkward.
I'm sure your Dad just doesn't know the right thing to say, ya know?

The Fabulous Ms. Beth said...

Yeah.. I'm sure he doesn't. Like I said.. my dad isn't good with feelings and whatnot. :) He's gotten better the older he's gotten though..