Warning:
this has stuff about baby Kate -- and I'm about to start whining, so here goes...
She's not a great eater.. and this week has been torture for me. For her body weight, which at the beginning of the week was 14 lbs, she's supposed to be eating 2 to 2.5 ounces per pound for her body weight. That would be 28 ounces minimum. This past week, I was lucky if I got her to eat 24 ounces. The past few days, If we got 20-23 ounces we were lucky. She's outright refusing to eat. She fights and fights the bottle. Because she started doing this, and experiencing lots of gas and constipation we decided to switch formulas. We did this this weekend, and she started eating alot less than usual -- which was still less than what is recommended for her body weight. She started out last week weighing 14 lbs, and when I weighed her before bed tonight she weighed 13 lbs 8 oz.
Tomorrow we are going to the pediatrician. I'm not sure what they're going to tell me since you can't really force a baby to eat... right?
I hate to be whiny but I'm really concerned. She's been happy this weekend with the new formula.. as in not acting like she's starving or anything. She's been smiling which is an improvement because all last week she was irritable. This past friday I took her to a friends baby shower, and the entire time I was there until we got home and put her to bed, she was SCREAMING bloody murder. That's a total of 4 hours of screaming folks -- and that's not Kate's style..
I'm frustrated. I have a baby who's not eating, and is potentially losing weight. I don't know what to do to make her eat. We've changed nipples to the nuk ones like the nuk pacifier that she loves so much. We've changed formulas thinking the other one was causing constipation and gas. We've done everything we can to get her to eat.. but she's just not having it.
I'm sorry to rant about this -- I just want her to be healthy and I feel like something's just not right.
5 comments:
Go with your gut- if you feel like something isn't right don't let any doctor tell you it's all in your head. That's my only advice. Good luck and I'm sure she'll be fine. :)
I hope you get it all worked out soon.. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have a babe who doesn't want to eat.. It does seem that she's gained adequate weight though, doesn't it? 14ish lbs seems good for her age. I think we all go through worrying about weight gain though.. I know I did.. Gwen wanted to nurse ALL THE TIME, I bought a scale and worried about her getting enough milk too.
I don't really have any words of wisdom. I just wanted to drop by and offer support ... and you're not whining, you're a good and concerned mother. That's allowed :)
what did the doctor say?
The doc said she's fine. She's still in the 50th percentile for weight so he said not to worry about her not eating enough.. Since switching her formulas this past weekend she's been back to her old self (happy, smiley, not freaking out..etc.) She ate the most she ever has yesterday.. which made me happy!
The doc also said stop counting up how much she's eaten. if she's hungry she'll surely let me know.. I just need to listen to my baby more I guess. :)
Post a Comment