Something happened today. It caught me off guard, and I'm pretty sure the other person involved in this scenario learned an important lesson today.
It all started in the pediatrician's office. Kate had broken out in a weird rash and some hives so I rushed her over to be seen by the doctor. They took some blood and looked her over and determined it to be a virus. DH was there with me, and the pediatrician made an off-handed joke that bought instant tears to my eyes. He said "don't worry, she's healthy.. it's just a virus. If worse comes to worse I know so-and-so from the local funeral home so I can set you up if I'm wrong".
I was FLOORED. I know he was just trying to make us feel better, but he said that comment to the wrong set of parents. I promptly told him, with instant tears in my eyes, "I already buried one child, I'd rather not have to go through that again, thanks." He was floored. He hadn't remembered that we lost our first child. He apologized and quickly left the room. Our appointment was over and we checked out and headed towards the parking lot. The pediatrician came out to the parking lot and as we were strapping Kate in the car he approached us. He apologized again and said he hadn't realized we lost a child, and told us how sorry he was. He obviously didn't mean any harm by his comment, he was just trying to ease our worries with humor. He didn't mean to make me cry and hopes we can forgive him. I can.. I just hope he learned something from this experience.
4 comments:
WTF? He has some sick sense of humor. I can't imagine that any parent would find that funny. I am floored as well. I am glad you set him straight though. I hope he feels like the fool he is for many days.
Wow. I can't even imagine. But I'm glad he learned his lesson. I agree with CLC...I don't know anyone, babylost or not, that would find that 'funny'.
Sorry you had to endure that.
Makes me wonder how often my off the cuff comments hurt someone. I can't tell you how much more I watch what I say anymore.
But that was still out of line. No question.
OH MY GOD! I'm sorry.. who JOKES like that?!!?!
Post a Comment